Subject: Re: SoC: NDIS
To: Alan Ritter <rittera@cc.wwu.edu>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/29/2005 21:22:31
One problem to be aware of, and which hit another OS that used an
object file translator to convert ODI drivers into loadable kernel
modules, is that some of the drivers may make incorrect assumptions
about which memory addresses are valid.

In particular the ODI driver for a very common card (I've forgotten which)
normaly used that bytes following the end of the actual data for padding.
We found that, under some circumstances, the actual data ended at the
end of a page - so the system panicked when transmitting the frame.

Quite a few of the drivers (converted by the os vendor) didn't work at all!

Have fun....

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk