Subject: Re: kern/25279: NFS read doesn't update atime
To: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/28/2005 11:48:15
On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 06:28:04PM +0900, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
> > update it once in a while, when there is a page fault, than never.
>
> actually, it gives you less info, given the fact that you can't
> predict when it's updated.

After a mmap, the first page fault on a mmaped region will always cause
VOP_GETPAGE to be called, isn't it ? So we will at last get an update
on the initial read. Sure, it may, or may not, be updated later when
accessing the page again.
So what this gives us is "this file has been read by a process at this
time. It may still be reading it".

> however, ok, i changed my mind after reading susv3. :-)

Good :)

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>