Subject: Re: Boot device confusion
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/21/2005 17:14:02
--KscVNZbUup0vZz0f

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 09:14:32AM -0400, Allen Briggs wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 12:06:11AM -0400, Allen Briggs wrote:
> > OK.  Comparing the 'd_secperunit' field in the default label to that
> > in the actual label read from the disk does work for me.
>=20
> After sleeping on it, this seems like a hack.  It's testing for a
> side effect of a condition, not for the condition itself.
>=20
> In general, if a disk is a member of an array, I really only want
> to see that disk at autoconfig time and for access to S.M.A.R.T.
> data or some such.

I agree. I think if a disk shows up as part of a RAID, we should leave it=
=20
alone.

> The system you describe seems broken, and I really wonder if
> that's a model that we want to support at the expense of what
> seems to me a more correct solution.
>=20
> You can easily continue to operate in your configuration if
> you simply wire the root device in your kernel.

Or, if you aren't using the on-board RAID, just delete it from your=20
kernel. The ld0 will go away, and you'll have no problems. I think... Oh,=
=20
you may still need the wire-down in case the kernel can't match the BIOS=20
pseudoraid with wd0.

Take care,

Bill

--KscVNZbUup0vZz0f