Subject: Kernel image in filesystem, netstat(1)
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Nino Dehne <ndehne@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/16/2005 01:56:33
Hi,

I am currently mildly baffled as to why netstat(1) for example needs
an image of the running kernel in the filesystem. I figured that, since
the kernel is loaded to memory anyway, it wouldn't need a separate
image on disk.

The puzzling thing for me is that netstat even fails with a gzipped
kernel image.

This led me to think that there might be some option that I stripped
while being overly minimalistic in creating the kernel config (3.0_BETA
with Peter Postma's altq.diff for netbsd-3 BTW).

The config I currently use is as follows. It is the bare minimum that
suits my needs to run a WRAP embedded board successfully.

The system is run from an embedded filesystem image which currently
contains a link from /netbsd to mnt/netbsd. The kernel is booted off
of a compact flash image which gets mounted on /mnt, thus completing
the circle. I would rather not have to 1) mount the CF card at all
2) keep the kernel uncompressed.

Is there a way to remove the dependency on an uncompressed image of
the running kernel duplicated in the filesystem?

TIA

ND

include     "arch/i386/conf/std.i386"

options     INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE

maxusers    32

options     I586_CPU

options     RTC_OFFSET=0
options     NTP
options     NO_TSC_TIME

file-system FFS
file-system PROCFS

options     GATEWAY
options     INET
options     INET6
options     IPSEC
options     IPSEC_ESP
options     IPSEC_DEBUG
options     MROUTING
options     PFIL_HOOKS

options     NMBCLUSTERS=8192

options     ALTQ

options     MEMORY_DISK_HOOKS
options     MEMORY_DISK_IS_ROOT
options     MEMORY_DISK_ROOT_SIZE=131072 # size in 512b blocks
options     MEMORY_RBFLAGS=0 # no single-user

options     VERIFIED_EXEC
options     VERIFIED_EXEC_FP_RMD160
options     VERIFIED_EXEC_FP_SHA256
options     VERIFIED_EXEC_FP_SHA384
options     VERIFIED_EXEC_FP_SHA512
options     VERIFIED_EXEC_FP_SHA1
options     VERIFIED_EXEC_FP_MD5

config      netbsd root on ? type ?

mainbus0    at root
cpu*        at mainbus?
pci*        at mainbus? bus ?
pcib*       at pci? dev ? function ?
isa0        at pcib?
npx0        at isa? port 0xf0 irq 13
com0        at isa? port 0x3f8 irq 4

geodeide*   at pci? dev ? function ?
atabus*     at ata?
wd*         at atabus? drive ? flags 0x0000

sip*        at pci? dev ? function ?
nsphyter*   at mii? phy ?

pseudo-device   veriexec    1

pseudo-device   crypto