Subject: Re: splx() optimization [was Re: SMP re-eetrancy in "bottom half" drivers]
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/10/2005 17:15:33
--IKC1RK7+nRZ8SZaO

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 10:34:05PM -0700, Jonathan Stone wrote:
> >Finally, making smp-safe datastructures doesn't necessarily involve
> >locks;=20
>
> (Mmm, I wonder, did you write that before seeing my preivous message,
> or after?)

Before or after which one? :) Before, I think, but the subthreads are
converging it seems.

> Much of Herlihy's early work recovers from
> contention by copying the entire structure being updated. =20

I had (roughly) in mind:

  The sequent-derived RCU that linux now apparently uses, which by
  demonstration seems to fit the 'general-purpose CPU-portable' bill,
  and which seems like it might be largely this, or even exactly this,
  without checking the name reference;

  The Xen rings I mentioned elsewhere; and

  Various constructions like cpu-local storage and cpu-bound work that
  aim to 'manage' contention by (say) bidding or delegation,
  especially as used in NUMA-type platforms.  Most of these aren't
  much use for your single-fat-fast stream scenario, though.

--
Dan.
--IKC1RK7+nRZ8SZaO

--IKC1RK7+nRZ8SZaO--