Subject: Re: changing default for UFS_DIRHASH and NEW_BUFQ_STRATEGY
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/08/2005 11:25:13
On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 12:19:09AM +0900, SODA Noriyuki wrote:
> 	Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp> said:
>
> > Should we also add #options BUFQ_PRIOCSCAN in these files?
>
> Yes, I think so.
>
> As Jason said, BUFQ_PRIOCSCAN is considered better than BUFQ_READPRIO.
> So, why don't we add it to where there is already BUFQ_READPRIO?

If SGI's claims can be believed, BUFQ_PRIOCSCAN should do better both
on clients and servers than either the traditional sorting (which is
pretty much CSCAN) or pure read priority.  I would support making it
the default -- we can change it back before the release if problems
turn up.

An interesting reference that gives a few other policies that might
not be too hard to implement is http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=511373

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to be
 abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."		- Noam Chomsky