Subject: Re: Summer of Code: HFS+
To: Peter Bex <Peter.Bex@student.kun.nl>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/06/2005 15:30:22
On 2005-06-04 Peter.Bex@student.kun.nl wrote:

> Instead, I think adding HFS+ support to NetBSD would be a more suitable
> project for me.  I have an iBook on which I could install MacOS X again,
> and I have a little experience with kernel programming.

[Not speaking for NetBSD...]

  I think this would be a great project.  There are many implementations
around in various states (search the list archives), but none with
acceptable license for inclusion in tree.

  Other potential projects I can think of are:
* COMPAT_DARWIN (OS X binary emulation) work
* PEACE (win32 binary emulation) work
* splice system call
* shared memory over local socket or non-fs-backed fd identifier
* package cross compile framework
* kernel enforcement of systrace policies
* LFS improvements and testing
* MIPS VIPT cache support and better VM management (fork performance...)
* make the kernel deal with serously out of memory situations reasonably

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@city-net.com