Subject: Re: Firmware upload - generalize it?
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/28/2005 17:14:57
On Sat, May 28, 2005 at 11:09:54AM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> How will one, after opening /dev/fwdownload, indicate _which_ device the
> firmware one is handing the kernel is for?

The structure passed to the ioctl will have the device name in it.
All hooks are registered with a device name passed, so the driver just
searches it's list for a matching registered name.

> Why not an ioctl on the actual device's node in /dev instead?  This might
> require adding nodes in /dev for some controllers, but so what?

That's a question of personal taste I guess. I'd prefer not to have /dev
entries for network cards or what-have-you (but if we have a unified ioctl
and a single userland utility and have the user specify /dev/whatever instead
of the device name as seen by autoconfig, I could live with that)

Martin