Subject: Re: ucycom driver
To: Nick Hudson <nick.hudson@dsl.pipex.com>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/12/2005 15:31:35
--EXKGNeO8l0xGFBjy

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 11:39:27AM +0100, Nick Hudson wrote:
> On Thursday 12 May 2005 08:00, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> > On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 06:41:37AM +0000, Nick Hudson wrote:
> > > How should I allocate a major number for this driver? Do I pick the n=
ext
> > > available, or try and make it common across archs?
> >
> > Adding it to sys/files/majors will make it common for all archs.
>=20
> OK, but should I do that? Why wasn't the nsmb major done that way?

Because the move to unified major numbers was done after its addition.

Ideally we would make all MI major numbers the same, but the real world
is not a friendly place for ideals :)

While reading the code, though, I was wondering how difficult it would
be to have an ucom(4) attaching to this device instead of mostly
replicating all the code.  AFAICT, it should be possible to do that by
adding a few methods to ucom_methods and making ucom(4) use them
instead of making calls to usbd_* at the relevant places.

That would save you a lot of documentation as to where to find the
relevant device node, at least ;)

Of course, I'm really no expert of the USB code, so I might be missing
something.

--=20

--EXKGNeO8l0xGFBjy

--EXKGNeO8l0xGFBjy--