Subject: RE: Verizon EVDO and NetBSD ugensa Driver
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matt Watts <matt@wattscomputers.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/30/2005 10:20:59
Guys,

I've been following this thread and have successfully compiled the
patch. What I'm thinking might be a better solution is to write some
glue code between pppd and the generic ugen driver. For one, I
have noticed that the 5220 card will at times become unresponsive
requiring a system reboot.  Two, I noticed that Sierra Wireless now
has a SDK for their 580 card which is very similar to the Audiovox
(AirPrime) 5220 card.  My thought in all this is that is should be
possible to write a more specific (better overall functionality)
interface to the 5220 and 580 cards--something that can easily
monitor the signal quality, activate the card and reset the card
when it locks up.  With NetBSD used in many embedded environments,
the possibility for using one of these wireless cards in a NetBSD
powered office router seems more likely.  And with Verizon
Wireless' plan to have EVDO implemented across their entire
network by the end of the year, it might be a good time to get
the ball rolling.

Comments, suggestions?

Matt Watts
Systems Integrator