Subject: Re: Melting down your network [Subject changed]
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/29/2005 08:41:25
christos@tac.gw.com (Christos Zoulas) writes:

>- linux does not return an error. From the time that it takes to complete
>  the test, it appears to be waiting for the interface queue.
>- FreeBSD/NetBSD do return an error [ENOBUFS].
>- I don't know what other OS's do, but I would be interested to know.

I have tested this with UDP and unicast, sending packets of
size 1400 bytes. The receiver is running Linux (Redhat 9),
the sender varies.

Solaris 8 does not return an error, it appears to be waiting,
all data reaches the receiver.

AIX 5.1 returns ENOBUFS after about 24 Mbyte sent to the socket
and about 2.5 Mbyte of that traffic seen by the receiver which
corresponds to the execution time of less than 1 second.
-> this looks like ENOBUFS is returned when mbufs are exhausted, i.e
   the interface queue is unlimited.

IRIX 6.5 returns ENOBUFS after about 350 kbyte sent to the socket,
all packets arrived at the receiver.
-> this looks like ENOBUFS is returned when the interface queue is full

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv@serpens.de