Subject: does "stray ... irq; stopped logging" also mean stopped interrupts?
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/26/2005 04:54:59
I've been seeing a few "stray 6600 irq 36" messages on the AlphaServer
es40, which is from one of the (currently busy as I populated it with
files) isp(4) controllers:

  isp1 at pci1 dev 4 function 0: QLogic Dual Port FC-AL and 2Gbps Fabric HBA
  isp1: interrupting at dec 6600 irq 36

However every once in a while when the storage attached to that device
gets really busy, with lots of little files moving around, enough of
these "stray" IRQs happen to cause: "stray 6600 irq 36; stopped logging"

Apparently that's not good because at the same time all the I/O comes to
a grinding halt (at least on that device, though it seems to intefere
with other filesystems too).

So, does "stray ... irq; stopped logging" also mean stopped interrupts?

Does anyone have any clue why the attached device wouldn't be claiming
all its interrupts?  Is it an isp(4) bug?

--
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098  W:+1 416 489-5852 x122  VE3TCP  RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>