Subject: Re: kernel-internal interface changes?
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/25/2005 04:39:44
>> (Out of idle curiosity, if you have the time and inclination to
>> satisfy it - and this may well be something that I don't know only
>> because I'm at home and all this stuff is at work - how do all the
>> kernel config bits get into sys/conf/files and sys/conf/majors and
>> such when you use the package?  I specifically went looking [...].)

> They don't.

> All the config(8) stuff hardwire the autoconf(9) structures in the
> kernel binary.  When tap(4) is built as a LKM, there are routines to
> attach to and detach from the autoconf(9) framework dynamically that
> are used at appropriate times.

Sure.  But what about when it's compiled into the kernel, rather than
modload(8)ed?  Is that something the package can't do?  Have I already
stumbled across the correct tack to take - dropping
if_tap{,_stub}.{c,h} into the kernel source tree and adding entries
manually to sys/conf/files and sys/conf/majors - and just botched it
slightly in respects you explained last message?

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign