Subject: Re: Adaptec SATA RAID 2410SA driver
To: None <darcy@NetBSD.org, port-amd64@NetBSD.org>
From: Dieter <netbsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/14/2005 22:27:08
> GENERIC:#aac*  at pci? dev ? function ?   # Broken -- 32bit assumptions.

> I didn't get any response so I attacked the aac driver anyway.  I made
> enough changes to get it to compile but it still doesn't work.

Gcc has some extra warnings that can assist in porting from ILP32 to LP64.

  -Wimplicit -Wmain -Wreturn-type -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes
  -Wmissing-declarations -Wredundant-decls -Wformat -Wchar-subscripts -Wconversion

I suggest fixing any prototype/declaration warnings first and then recompiling
to get a fresh list of warnings, otherwise you could find yourself changing
something twice.

Is the driver known to work on ILP32 machines?

  -Wunused -Wswitch -Wtrigraphs -Wuninitialized -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-qual
  -Wcast-align -Wwrite-strings -Wnested-externs -W -Wparentheses -Wcomment
  -Waggregate-return -Winline -Wshadow

Note that -Wuninitialized can generate false positives, and some of the
others are things that "might" be bugs, but might be okay.

I think that NetBSD could benefit from adding at least some of these options
to the makefiles.