Subject: Re: more on mysql benchmark
To: SODA Noriyuki <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/06/2005 22:34:52
On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 12:16:29PM +0900, SODA Noriyuki wrote:

> BTW, I think it is better to decrease current lower bound of
> vm.bufcache from 5% to something like 1% (Note that I'm not talking
> about default value but lower bound value here). Because it's often
> desirable to use such small value on machines like pc532 which have
> smaller RAM.

I don't like this idea.  There are common use cases already (e.g.
building the entire system on a large-memory machine) where the file
cache steals too many pages from the buffer cache as it is: things can
be measurably sped up by _increasing_ the lower bound of vm.bufcache.
If we're going to decrease vm.bufcache we need to work harder to make
sure it doesn't just get pinned at that new lower bound inappropriately
as it currently does.

Thor