Subject: How long can I use an outdated kernel with an updated userland?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Vincent <10.50@free.fr>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/05/2005 11:32:17
Hi,

the question in the subject can look silly, but, since the 2.99.13
kernel, I can't use my laptop under self-power, because it reboots
continuously without warning after 1 mn or so of use, and I haven't been
able as yet to pinpoint the bug. Conclusion : while I am using the
current kernel and userland when the laptop is connected to the mains, I
have to reverse to an obsolete 2.99.12 when it is not.

However, I suspect sooner or later one program in the current-userland
will make use of a call not implemented on 2.99.12 and the system won't
be usable anymore. Is that right?

Thanks,
Vincent