Subject: NFS problems, leaving locked vnode
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/03/2005 23:14:49
--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2

Dear folks,

since i updated my Alpha and my i386 to 2.99.16, i've been experiencing
various lockups on NFS. Since my /home is NFS mounted, one can say it
renders the machine near useless.

a typical trace from dmesg would be :

dump device (default wd0b):
file system (default generic):
root on wd0a dumps on wd0b
root file system type: ffs
init path (default /sbin/init):
init: trying /sbin/init

(might be related, just after start though)
tlp0: transmit process failed to idle: state RUNNING - WAIT
tlp0: transmit underrun; new threshold: 96/256 bytes
tlp0: transmit underrun; new threshold: 128/512 bytes
tlp0: transmit underrun; new threshold: 160/1024 bytes

(functions fine for some time)

nfs server rangerover.kasbah:/home: not responding
.... dead in the water

Note that other NFS clients work fine with the same server. I also noticed
once that other exports from the same server were *still* accessible and
the machine's network stack functions fine for it can both ping and be
pinged. All rest of the filingsystem is working OK unless one touches the
`rogue' vnode ... and find it locked.

Has anyone any idea? Has anyone worked on NFS lately?

Cheers,
Reinoud

--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2

--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2--