Subject: Re: zero-sized disks
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/02/2005 23:43:57
I wrote, of a disk that reported itself as having zero size,

Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org> replied
> I'd send a PR.  The kernel shouldn't panic.  It probably should
> report and then largely ignore the disk, though.

That's about what I thought.

I noticed the panic on a 1.4T system.  Looking at the 2.0 diskerr()
makes me suspect 2.0 has the same problem, but I haven't actually
verified that (my one 2.0 machine does not have any IDE support, so I
can't "just try it").  I expect to be able to try it relatively soon,
and if 2.0 does have the same problem, then I'll file a PR.  (It might
not; it might be that something else stops it from getting to the point
of panicking.)

Douglas Wade Needham <cinnion@ka8zrt.com> wrote, among other things,
> BTW...sound like the on-disk logic board may be going.

Yes, I suspect this may be what's at fault.  But as far as I know I do
not have access to an identical drive to swap boards with.  Anyone
happen to have any dead Maxtors that are believed to have died for
media reasons?  According to the label, this drive's magic numbers are

	Model     HDA   PCBA   Unique   Code
	5T020H2   22A   05A    52A      TAH71DP0

If it would help, I can scan the drive's label.

> Kinda hard on most drives today, but perhaps worth some
> investigation, especially if you are talking a out-of-warranty SCSI
> drive.

It's IDE (I think I said that, didn't I?), but it is out of warranty;
the drive label says "Manuf:14FEB2001" and "War.End:MAY04".

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign