Subject: Re: zero-sized disks
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Douglas Wade Needham <cinnion@ka8zrt.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/02/2005 17:42:05
	version=3.0.0
Sender: tech-kern-owner@NetBSD.org

Normally I would not reply to a message as an "I also agree", but my
service provider background is pushing me to do so this time.  If a SP
has a critical system, odds are there will be hot-swap drives floating
around.  If such a drive is in the system, but the drive (or a
replacement which is just going in) has failed, then the panic goes
from being just a major PITA to something much more.  If nothing else,
some reputations can get bruised.  Or, if it catches the wrong
attention, suddenly NetBSD is getting replaced which may be much less
palatible to many of us.

BTW...sound like the on-disk logic board may be going.  We saw a few of
these years ago at CompuServe, and our HW engineers ended up swapping
out the board for one on a drive where the media had failed (or
replacements we had ordered).  Kinda hard on most drives today, but
perhaps worth some investigation, especially if you are talking a
out-of-warranty SCSI drive.

- Doug

Quoting Allen Briggs (briggs@NetBSD.org):

--
Douglas Wade Needham - KA8ZRT        UN*X Consultant & UW/BSD kernel programmer
Email:  cinnion @ ka8zrt . com       http://cinnion.ka8zrt.com