Subject: Re: m_defrag() addition
To: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/02/2005 13:05:40
--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 09:42:01PM +0100, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 07:12:40PM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> > I think it'd be better to just return the chain. While you're right tha=
t=20
> > chances are we will just drop the packet, I think there are times we ma=
y=20
> > want to do something different with it. Yes, that would be using this=
=20
>=20
> Could you please provide an explicit example when we would want to do
> 'something different'?

I can't. But that's partly the point. You have a routine which does a=20
rather useful manipulation yet you're assuming how it will be used and=20
thus are limiting its use to only that area. You're also assuming that=20
there is no other error cleanup that needs to happen between noticing the=
=20
error and freeing the chain.

You may be right that it will never be used other than you envision. It=20
just strikes me as wrong thought to assume that; with this error case=20
handling your assumption becomse self-fufilling.

Take care,

Bill

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb--