Subject: Re: alsa?
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/22/2005 20:06:12
In message <20050223035929.GE430@bcd.geek.com.au>, Daniel Carosone writes:

>On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 07:34:06PM -0800, Jonathan Stone wrote:
>> (I thought there was a hunk of binary-only code required for
>> the ltmodem, too.  Am I mistaken?)
>
>The point about the winmodems is that they're really just audio chips
>with suitable line drivers for POTS use.

Yeah, I know. Bascially.  I recall the chips in ThinkPads have some
additional smarts, or an embedded DSP, or some such; I forget the details.

>All the modem stuff - MNP, V.42, trellis encoding, error correction,
>etc - has to be done in software.  That would be the binary hunk
>you're thinking of, but I gather there are projects working on
>open-source implementations of this, too.

For the AMD riser, or the Rockwell/Conexant chips, or the
ltmodem-thingy in a ThinkPad?

>Can *you* whistle a buffer overflow sploit down the line? :)

Nope. I can only whistle a connection, at 1200 baud or thereabouts.
[All those years practicing violin, and all I got is this lousy handshake...]