Subject: Re: devd-alike for NetBSD
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/09/2005 23:31:30
matt@3am-software.com said:
> config_attach_loc will copy the locators passed in "ldesc" to that
> field.  However, most every use of that routine passes a NULL for
> "ldesc".  (only ISA and SCSIBUS pass a non-null "ldesc").

config_attach* is directly used by "indirect config" busses only.
There is also config_found_sm_loc(), used by "direct config" busses.
Eg pci and pcmcia.

> locdesc_t is disgusting

Yes, agreed. My original idea was to get all uses of the old cfmatch_t
converted first, and then change config(8) to issue information
about locators more useful than the current "locnames" (at least
minimal number, maximal number and default values) and link it where
it belongs (to the interface attributes; cfdata as currently
is the wrong place). Then the explicite length wouldn't be needed
anymore and locdesc_t could turn into a simple int* (or something
else, if someone implements string locators in the meantime).

best regards
Matthias