Subject: Re: Pluged : USBd for NetBSD ?
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
From: Rhialto <rhialto@azenomei.knuffel.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/29/2005 13:16:25
On Wed 19 Jan 2005 at 23:42:38 +0200, Jukka Marin wrote:
> 20 years ago, there was a computer called Amiga.  If you ejected a
> writable removable media (a 3.5" disk, most often :) and there was
> buffered data in RAM, the system would pop up a window telling the
> user to insert the disk again so the buffers could be flushed.

And if a process had a file or directory open, and wanted to access it
again, the user was similarly asked to put the disk back into ANY drive.
It was always great fun to start a directory listing, pause it in the
middle, pop out the disk, unpause, and replace the disk in the other
drive, after which the listing would merrily continue. And that while
there was a filesystem process for each physical drive; the file handles
were actually passed to the other file system process.

Now THAT is useful.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert                            --  rhialto/at/falu.nl
\X/ Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me to your .signature to help me spread!