Subject: Re: ACPI suspend support.
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/28/2005 09:15:31
--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 09:32:12AM -0400, Jared D. McNeill wrote:
> Not sure what display adapter you have, but with my d600 I need to use
> pkgsrc/sysutils/radeontool to toggle my backlight when I enter and leave
> S1 sleep.

ATI Technologies Rage Mobility M3. It's not just the backlight that
remains, though - it's also the image; the LCD and DAC are also still
running.

But yes, clearly video still has many open issues :-)

> Strange about esa not working, as Kentaro said the device isn't turned
> off in S1.=20

I should provide more detail, sorry. After resume, I got a continuous
stream of messages:

  esa0: esa_read_codec: timed out

I normally have an instance of gkrellm-volume running in the corner of
one desktop, so I can push my mouse there and use the wheel to change
volume.  It must be polling the mixer device for changes, too, because
the slider reacts to changes made via mixerctl or other apps, too
(sounds like a job for kqueue).

Killing gkrellm stopped the messages, but they came back when it was
restarted, so the device was still hosed. Perhaps I suspended the cpu
while a poll was in flight to the device, and upset it or got it out
of sync with the driver that way?

> Since you seem to be having some strange problems, we might have to use
> your c600 as a guinea pig in the future. Thanks for volunteering :)

No problem :)

--
Dan.

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l