Subject: Re: ACPI suspend support.
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/25/2005 10:29:35
On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 10:49 -0800, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2005, at 3:26 AM, Kentaro A. Kurahone wrote:
>
> >  * /dev/apmctl interface glue code. (So I can use apm -d -z to test)
>
> I would really like to see the /dev/apm* API go away, and a new power
> management API that uses sysmon developed, one that can express a
> richer set of power management capabilities.  This new API would use
> e.g. ACPI and APM (what whatever e.g. Apple Powerbooks would use) as
> back-ends to do its work.

Curious.. has anybody had any success with the ACPI wakecode that is
currently checked into the tree and going to S3 sleep? With the source
in -current, my laptop (Dell Latutude D600) never resumes from sleep.
With Kentaro's patch, my laptop reboots when attempting to resume.

My knowledge of x86 assembler is limited, but with the following patch I
am able to resume, and my machine works for about 5 seconds before all
of my devices start spewing errors and key input stops working. Could
someone review this patch and let me know why it seems to work (and
certainly, what I'm doing that's very wrong).

 http://www.invisible.ca/~jmcneill/netbsd/d600/acpi-wakecode.patch

I'm testing sleep with another patch that allows the sleepstate to be
set via a sysctl (sysctl -w hw.acpi.sleepstate=3):

 http://www.invisible.ca/~jmcneill/netbsd/d600/acpi-sleep-sysctl.patch

Thanks,
Jared