Subject: Re: USB emul under Linux
To: J Chapman Flack <flack@cs.purdue.edu>
From: Vincent <10.50@free.fr>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/22/2005 11:55:28
Hi,

> So my question is, does the emulation layer provide any kind of escape
> mechanism - say one new syscall available under emulation that allows
> an interposed user library to say "Hi, I know I'm really running on NetBSD
> under emulation, and please invoke NetBSD syscall 142 with the following
> untranslated arguments"?

Oh, I see. You would be able sometimes to translate the calls, because
they are issued by a true Linux lib and sometimes not, because, though
being executed under Linux emulation, they are placed by a native BSD
lib. Is that it ?

Maybe your right : a pre-call or something would set a boolean flag.
But, it would require a special compiling of the BSD library, something
like :

#ifdef _RUNNING_UNDER_LINUX
#endif

at compile time, before each call.

Whatever, that may be worth giving it a thought.

Cheers,

Vincent