Subject: Re: USB emul under Linux
To: None <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: M. Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/19/2005 08:58:29
In message: <rmism4xbg8m.fsf@fnord.ir.bbn.com>
            Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com> writes:
:   In some way, the libusb is precisely meant to hide these
:   differences. Wherefore, a new question : is it possible to design a
:   special libusb which, even though being a Linux type library, would
:   translate into native NetBSD kernel USB calls.
:
: You could probably compile libusb under linux (with a cross compiler,
: perhaps using the real linux cc in the chroot, but with netbsd usb .h
: files), and bash configure output to use the netbsd kernel usb
: methods.
:
: But, this will only make linux programs that use dynamically linked
: libusb.  This would almost certainly leave out things like vmware.
: To me, the point of linux emulation is things I can't compile
: natively, and it seems the special libusb won't help much of that.

And the problem isn't in the libusb level, it is in the details of how
endpoints are opened.  At least that's one of the problems that I'm
trying to talk about.

Warner