Subject: Re: XF86 wsfb driver and wscons ioctl
To: None <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/19/2005 01:03:48
In article <20050118154709.GS990@canolog.ninthwonder.com>
briggs@wasabisystems.com wrote:

> > - some bitblt functions (copy, fill etc.?)
> > and more?
>
> I don't think we should be passing code here.  When I last looked,
> X does a pretty good job with acceleration.  It would take a lot
> to do better, I think, unless you have some hardware support--even
> then, if you have to go through a kernel interface, there will
> probably be a point at which it will be cheaper to just stay in
> userland and let X do it.

But I don't think it can be handled by dumb wsfb driver.
Some wscons drivers already have {copy,erase}{cols,rows}()
functions for wscons/rasopos with hardware support, so
I just guess they could be easily used with the same API by dumb wsfb.

> If there is some acceleration option, then perhaps there should be
> a future WSDISPLAYIO_GACCELINFO or similar.  Most wsfb, I would
> think, would not need it, and the info above is enough to get X up
> and running now.  Adding acceleration could easily be added in the
> future.

Ok, I agree to have another ioctl for such functions.
---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp