Subject: Re: Getting "TLB IPI rendezvous failed..."
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@NetBSD.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/15/2005 16:05:43
On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 01:16:26AM +0100, Frank van der Linden wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 11:44:33PM -0500, Stephan Uphoff wrote:
> > You can also just add the  splclock()/splx in x86_ipi as there is no
> > need to protect the atomic bitmaps.
>
> Ayup. Many thanks for the suggestions, I committed that change.
>
> Can the people who had these problems (Fred, Havard?) see if this makes
> any change? I tested if the changes work on one of my SMP systems, but
> I could never reproduce the bug itself on those in the first place.

I backported these changes to a netbsd-2-0-RELEASE kernel. It didn't help for
http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=28541
It paniced again while the amanda client was running.

If you think that a current kernel has additionnal fixes that may be relevant,
I can try a current kernel.
Also, I also have a dual-CPU sparc10 with a similar workload (several mrtg
processes, apc UPS on serial port, amanda client) which never show this
problem, so it may be a i386-specific issue.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>