Subject: software watchdog timer
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/02/2005 20:27:08
I've implemented a software watchdog timer, compatible with wdogctl(8)
and the associated sysmon framework.  It's available at
http://www.machshav.com/~smb/swdog.tgz ; I'm likely to commit it to
-current in a few days if no one finds any problems with it.

In implementing it, I also modified dev/sysmon/sysmon_wdog.c and
wdogctl(8) to have an "external" tickle mode.  The current driver
disarms the watchdog timer if the device is closed and assumes that
wdogctl will run in the background.  This assumes a particular model of
how watchdog tickles should happen.  My new mode assumes that a tickle
program will be invoked periodically, perhaps via cron or some cgi
script.  This permits a much broader notion of liveness, though of
course at some additional risk to system stability.  But the basic
driver (swdog.c) should work without the other changes.

		--Prof. Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb