Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.0 crashing in lstat(2) over NFS
To: Ben Collver <collver@peak.org>
From: Matthew Mondor <mm_lists@pulsar-zone.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/02/2005 09:23:52
On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 06:05:51 -0800
Ben Collver <collver@peak.org> wrote:

> Yesterday morning, under heavy disk and light NFS I/O, my system
> locked solid.  I was unable to get to ddb, get a crashdump, nor
> reproduce it.
>
> Did you have to do anything other than add DIAGNOSTIC to get a
> crashdump?

Seems that I also needed to disable DDB on panic, since this is a
desktop box which generally was in X11 when this occured. CTRL-ALT-ESC
didn't seem to always work for me to go type in "sync" command, but then
again, I also experienced hard freezes with this bug where the debugger
was't invoked when enabled, and machine not rebooted once debugger
disabled.  I had to arm myself with patience trying to make it crash
until I eventually (and finally) got a core dump...  Probably worth it
in the long run though, since it's really frustrating to experience
crashes on an OS I'm used to highly depend on

Matt