Subject: Re: NetBSD/OpenBSD usbdevs style differences
To: <>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/23/2004 20:22:13
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Barry Bouwsma wrote:

> Moin, moin!
>
> Here's a stupid question that has popped up as I merge together
> all the *BSD USB usbdevs file data.
>
> I've noticed while adding from NetBSD into FreeBSD that a good
> number of product descriptions have been shortened somewhat in
> NetBSD.
>
> Now, while comparing OpenBSD and NetBSD, I see that OpenBSD has
> shortened even more product descriptions.
>
> So my question, will NetBSD be (considering) changing the product
> descriptions in the future to match those of OpenBSD?
>
> Below I give a couple examples of some changes in OpenBSD:
>
> --- usbdevs-netbsd-unpatched    Thu Dec  9 16:26:28 2004
> +++ usbdevs-openbsd     Thu Dec  9 13:21:37 2004
>
> -product ASANTE EA              0x1427  Ethernet Adapter
> +product ASANTE EA              0x1427  Ethernet
>
> -product TEAC FD05PUB           0x0000  FD-05PUB floppy
> +product TEAC FD05PUB           0x0000  FD-05PUB

 	For the former; it makes sense to work for consistency -
 	in NetBSD's pcidevs the vast majority of ethernet devices
 	do not include 'adaptor' (4 vs 196), while in usbdevs most
 	do (45 vs 24). Also if you do not have the driver configured
 	in and cannot work out what an 'Ethernet' device is, you are
 	unlikely to be helped with 'Ethernet Adapter'.

 	For the latter, I think it makes sense to keep the floppy.
 	'FD' is a common abbreviation, but there is bound to be
 	some manufacturer who has a product starting 'fd' which is
 	not a floppy device.