Subject: fsck still happens with softdeps?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Bex <Peter.Bex@student.kun.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/22/2004 09:57:33
--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s

Hi all,

I just read McKusick's softdeps paper and if I understood it correctly,
fscks aren't necessary anymore except for the occasional background fsck
to reclaim lost inodes.

But when my machine is abruptly reset (by power failure or whatever),
it does a `normal' fsck on boot.  Why is this?  Did I misunderstand the
paper, or is there something more I have to do than provide the option
`softdep' in /etc/fstab and enable SOFTDEPS in the kernel?

BTW, mount(8) tells me the fs is mounted as softdep.

Regards,
Peter
--=20
http://www.student.kun.nl/peter.bex