Subject: Re: [openrisc] OpenRISC port to NetBSD
To: Matjaz Breskvar <phoenix@opencores.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/21/2004 20:35:50
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Matjaz Breskvar wrote:
> Since i'm the only author of the code in head.S couldn't i 'release' it
> also with BSD license ? If so, is there an interest to reuse it and
> what's the procedure to do so ?

As the author of the software, you can issue your code under a
dual-license. To do so, make it clear that the software is available under
both licenses, and that whoever uses it can choose. I think perl does
this, with the Artistic License and GPL. Put both GPL and BSD copyright
headers in all the files you want to put under the dual license, and maybe
write a paragraph over it that the user can choose which one to use, but
that both licenses must be retained when passing on the file.

GPL #10 has a few words on this, but isn't every clear.

> Some stuff in entry.S is done in linux specific way so this BSD
> licensing might be more complicated and not really worth the effort...
> If it would help the NetBSD port i can seperate the usefull part and
> release that as BSD-licensed code...

That sounds useful, but I cannot speak for the people doing the actual
work on the NetBSD port. :)

  - Hubert

--
NetBSD - Free AND Open!      (And of course secure, portable, yadda yadda)