Subject: Re: Ideas on the audio framework
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/07/2004 07:29:36
On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 09:01:06PM -0600, David Young wrote:
> Please, fix the applications!  A user should not have to "hunt" on a
> dial with 256 settings for the 16 settings that matter.  Neither should
> a computer program.

The applications should never need to know the hardware details.  The
current implementation of broken, IMNSHO.

Or do think every single programm running under X should handle different
screen depths, resultions, gfx accelerators, monitor types etc. by itself?
I think it's the job of X and the display drivers to do that.  I also think
it's the job of the audio drivers to hide the hardware differences as much
as possible.

  -jm