Subject: Re: NetBSD, apple fibre-channel card & 2.8TB Xserve-RAID
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/05/2004 06:59:15
--oDto3OTLsk6uOlQH

On Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 03:00:04AM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
> However, I have in mind a much simpler test: fill the entire "disk"
> (it's a "hardware" (presumably really firmware) RAID array) with data
> such that by examining a block's contents you can tell what block it
> is.  Then read it all back and see if all the blocks' contents are
> correct. Repeat using the block device if the raw device passes this
> test (I expect the raw device to pass and the cooked device to fail).

=46rom your description in the same email, I expect both to pass, and
the problem to be in the fs code layered above this, but proving it
either way will be valuable.

Whatever you find, can you attempt to replicate it with a -current
kernel? There were several changes since the branch, and I tried
netbsd (ffsv1 and ffsv2) on a machine with several 2Tb partitions
earlier this year - though the testing I did at the time could well
have missed the subtle kind of problem you're seeing.

--
Dan.

--oDto3OTLsk6uOlQH

--oDto3OTLsk6uOlQH--