Subject: Re: Ideas on the audio framework
To: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd@jdboyd.net>
From: Rui Paulo <rpaulo@netbsd-pt.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/04/2004 02:12:02
On 2004.12.03 15:56:16 +0000, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> If both, then how do yo picture it being handled?
>
> If there are 64 hardware channels (is that 32 stereo channels, or 64
> stereo channels), would the first 62 or 63 channels get to go straight
> to hardware but the rest would be software mixed then sent to channel
> 63/64?
>
> What are the forseen various uses?

First use the hardware mixing infrastructure for cards that support it
and, after that, use a software based mixing. Right now, for my work day,
I think that 32/64 channels are far from enough, but yes, there are
people who actually need more than that. To solve that problem, I
guess your idea of using the last channel for software mixing output
is nice.

Regards.

        -- Rui Paulo <rpaulo@netbsd-pt.org>