Subject: Re: Unicode support in iso9660.
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@utu.fi>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/22/2004 08:36:31
On Sun, 21 Nov 2004, der Mouse wrote:

> >> eg, in 8859-1, any string containing an octet in the 0x80-0x9f range
> >> is invalid,
> > Well, 0x80-0x9f _are_ valid characters, just not printable.
>
> Oh!  Okay, I've been confused about 8859.  What are their meanings?

They have no *graphic* meanings, and neither do code positions 0x00-0x1F.

> Did ISO adopt the ANSI X3.41/X3.64 meanings (and if so what did they do
> with 80, 81, 82, 83, 98, 99, and 9a)?

The 8859-1 can be used in conjunction with ISO/IEC 6429, which specifies
a set of coded control functions ("However, control functions are not
used to create composite graphic symbols.") I don't have it in front of me
right now, but it is conceivable that it has some definitions
for 0x7F-0x9F and certainly 0x00-0x1F.