Subject: Re: FIONWRITE proposal
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/20/2004 15:24:29
--Q68bSM7Ycu6FN28Q

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 07:38:34AM -0400, Allen Briggs wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 09:13:25PM -0700, cgd@broadcom.com wrote:
> > Given that the interface exists and has a particular meaning already,
> > I'd follow that.
>=20
> FWIW, I agree with this, although the manual should be explicit that
> it doesn't match what you might expect if you're familiar with the
> semantics of FIONREAD.  With no prior art, it would make the most
> sense to have:

I plan on beefing up the man entry. I'll also add FIONSPACE.

> Given the prior art, however, we should probably match the existing
> semantics.  Does anyone other than vxworks define it?

Kinda. Linux extends TIOCOUTQ functionality to sockets, so they=20
essentially have this functionality, just under a different name.

I much prefer FIONWRITE to TIOCOUTQ. While FIONOUTQ would make sense,=20
there already is prior art for FIONWRITE.

Take care,

Bill

--Q68bSM7Ycu6FN28Q

--Q68bSM7Ycu6FN28Q--