Subject: Re: FIONWRITE proposal
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Charles M. Hannum <abuse@spamalicious.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/20/2004 18:19:47
--nextPart1443502.BqPbv0Ht9g

On Wednesday 20 October 2004 17:06, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 08:46:08PM -0500, David Young wrote:
> > I can see the virtue in an API that you can re-use with ttys, files,
> > but a trivial modification to the socket API won't do?  I believe it was
> > Charles Hannum who suggested on another venue that you could add a flag
> > to sendto(2) that has the desired semantics---MSG_ATOMIC?
>
> No.
>
> Those aren't the semantics I desire. Those are the semantics that Charles
> thinks I should desire and that should do what I want. I do not think they
> will.

This problem has been ill-defined from the start, as can be seen by the num=
ber=20
of times you've had to supply additional information both here and on ICB.

You've stated two actual concerns, AFAICT:

1) You don't want to fill the queue with a particular type of request if=20
communication is stalled.  As I pointed out on ICB, since these requests ar=
e=20
acked, this can be solved more than adequately at the application level by=
=20
capping the number of outstanding requests, as is done in many other=20
protocols.

2) You seem to think that it is better to never send a request if there is=
=20
anything in the queue.  This is, AFAICT, a minor optimization given the=20
previous, and does not warrant modifying the OS.