Subject: Re: Work-in-progress "wedges" implementation
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/09/2004 12:22:06
der Mouse wrote:

> > Wedges are [...]
>
> Most of what I've had to say about wedges has been addressed well
> enough by others, but I do have one concern: one of the messages wrote
> of forbidding overlapping wedges (except for parent/child overlap, when
> a real wedge hierarchy exists).
>
> I think that would be a very bad idea.  I have found far too many uses
> for overlapping partitions for me to see forbidding wedge overlap as
> anything but a huge step backwards.

I'd forgotten about this one when mentioned previously.  I currently
use overlapping partitions for my swap/dump devices - my swap is on
a raidframe mirror, but raidframe can't dump so I have a different
partition that starts 64 sectors after the swap raid set that I dump to.

And yes, one answer is "fix raidframe" but I don't know what is
involved in that.  As long as I can still dump to where my raid swap
is (regardless of the actual mechanics), I'll be happy :-)

NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/