Subject: Re: wedge types
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/01/2004 16:04:07
--WlEyl6ow+jlIgNUh

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 01:35:44PM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>=20
> On Oct 1, 2004, at 12:02 PM, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>=20
> >With wedges, we aren't limited to the partition/wedge types that can be
> >encoded as a uint8_t in p_fstype. Do we want to add a centralized list=
=20
> >for
> >names?
>=20
> I'm one step ahead of you :-)  Look in <sys/disk.h>.

Ok. That's definitely a start.

> >My first thought was to map some of the plethora of type names Apple=20
> >uses
> >into a few well-known names. So "Apple_Driver43" and "Apple_Driver_ATA"
> >and such all become "driver". And "Apple_Patches" becomes "patches". So
> >it'd be nice to have a central list of these names so that other=20
> >schemes
> >can map their own types to these; to seed the work with common ideas.
>=20
> There's nothing wrong with having non-generic names, too.  I mean,=20
> Apple_Driver43 ... that seems like maybe it's a stretch to just call=20
> that a generic "driver wedge".  What are the semantics of these things?=
=20
> :-)

It's used by the firmware to boot the machine into MacOS. The "patches"=20
driver patches the firmware, and then one of these driver partitions=20
actually reads in the starting system file.

The main reason I wanted to map the names is that Apple tends to create=20
long-ish names, like on the order of 12 to 15 letters, while we tend to=20
stick to names from 3 to 6 letters. So anything which dumps a lot of=20
wedges & types will end up either chopping off part of the type or wasting=
=20
lots of space on wedges used for NetBSD (depending on how the "type"=20
column is formatted). Thus the desire for smaller names.

Thoughts?

Take care,

Bill

--WlEyl6ow+jlIgNUh