Subject: Re: wedge types
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/01/2004 13:35:44
--Apple-Mail-34-244143844

On Oct 1, 2004, at 12:02 PM, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> With wedges, we aren't limited to the partition/wedge types that can be
> encoded as a uint8_t in p_fstype. Do we want to add a centralized list
> for
> names?

I'm one step ahead of you :-)  Look in <sys/disk.h>.

> My first thought was to map some of the plethora of type names Apple
> uses
> into a few well-known names. So "Apple_Driver43" and "Apple_Driver_ATA"
> and such all become "driver". And "Apple_Patches" becomes "patches". So
> it'd be nice to have a central list of these names so that other
> schemes
> can map their own types to these; to seed the work with common ideas.

There's nothing wrong with having non-generic names, too.  I mean,
Apple_Driver43 ... that seems like maybe it's a stretch to just call
that a generic "driver wedge".  What are the semantics of these things?
:-)

         -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>

--Apple-Mail-34-244143844
	name=PGP.sig