Subject: wedge types
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/01/2004 12:02:08
--jCrbxBqMcLqd4mOl

With wedges, we aren't limited to the partition/wedge types that can be=20
encoded as a uint8_t in p_fstype. Do we want to add a centralized list for=
=20
names?

I ask as I'm working on Apple partition map support for wedges. There are=
=20
a whole slew of (Apple) partition types we ignored before, because we only=
=20
had 8 or 16 slots in a disklabel; if the choice is between your /usr file=
=20
system and a driver from Apple to talk to the disk over firewire, you want=
=20
to choose the /usr partition. ;-) But now with wedges, we can add wedges=20
for these partitions as doing so won't run us out of room.

My first thought was to map some of the plethora of type names Apple uses=
=20
into a few well-known names. So "Apple_Driver43" and "Apple_Driver_ATA"=20
and such all become "driver". And "Apple_Patches" becomes "patches". So=20
it'd be nice to have a central list of these names so that other schemes=20
can map their own types to these; to seed the work with common ideas.

Take care,

Bill

--jCrbxBqMcLqd4mOl

--jCrbxBqMcLqd4mOl--