Subject: re: Work-in-progress "wedges" implementation
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/01/2004 11:26:43

   On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 04:28:17PM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:

   > On Sep 29, 2004, at 5:42 PM, Daniel Carosone wrote:
   >
   > >Oh, I'm not advocating changing the filesystems; nobody cares about
   > >the few missing blocks.  But at the moment, access to the wedge
   > >containing the filesystem also implies access to the partition table
   > >data - which may describe partitions beyond the wedge in question.
   >
   > It does?  Even in the traditional BSD disklabel scheme, only the file
   > system that resides in the partition that "overlaps" the label area is
   > going to "have access to" that disklabel.

   Sure, if I give (say) a user access to that particular partition, for
   usermounted filesystems, they can then rewrite my disklabel as well.

   I'm not unhappy with a "so don't do that you fool" response, but I
   thought I'd float the idea(s) in case they have merit. Seems not.

also, see "disklabel -[NW]".