Subject: Re: Work-in-progress "wedges" implementation
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/01/2004 10:33:10
--USvVzkgzuRvOAB6v

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 04:28:17PM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>=20
> On Sep 29, 2004, at 5:42 PM, Daniel Carosone wrote:
>=20
> >Oh, I'm not advocating changing the filesystems; nobody cares about
> >the few missing blocks.  But at the moment, access to the wedge
> >containing the filesystem also implies access to the partition table
> >data - which may describe partitions beyond the wedge in question.
>=20
> It does?  Even in the traditional BSD disklabel scheme, only the file=20
> system that resides in the partition that "overlaps" the label area is=20
> going to "have access to" that disklabel.

Sure, if I give (say) a user access to that particular partition, for
usermounted filesystems, they can then rewrite my disklabel as well.

I'm not unhappy with a "so don't do that you fool" response, but I
thought I'd float the idea(s) in case they have merit. Seems not.

--
Dan.

--USvVzkgzuRvOAB6v

--USvVzkgzuRvOAB6v--