Subject: Re: retry: NetBSD umidi driver shuns M-Audio / Midiman Midisport 2x4
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Chapman Flack <flack@cerias.purdue.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/27/2004 11:01:08
Giles Lean wrote:

> > ugen0 at uhub0 port 1
> > ugen0: Midiman product 0x1041, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 2
>
> As Tino Wildenhain noted, it probably wants firmware.  I have a M-Audio
> Transit which shows up like this before firmware is loaded:
>
>     ugen0 at uhub0 port 2
>     ugen0: Unknown Unknown, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 2

Thanks Giles - if you saw a later reply I sent to Tino yesterday, you saw
that I found a firmware download page on sourceforge that explicitly says
"the MidiSport 2x4 doesn't require this loader."  I have asked M-Audio
to confirm that and no response yet (besides the obligatory "you're not
running windows so we don't know what our hardware does").

But it seems the page might be right, since your device comes up completely
unknown before download, and mine at least already knows it's a Midiman 0x1041.

> With firmware, it's an audio device (of sorts, see later):

So I'm guessing mine is already a midi device of sorts without needing
firmware; it just doesn't identify with the proper class and subclass to
be recognized as one.

>    I'm reading the USB audio standard, but it's slow going as I
>    don't normally work with I/O hardware and don't know USB at
>    all.  ``Steep learning curve'' is an apt description. :-)

Yeah, I made it through the USB MIDI document last night, but I need to
make a second pass over the last third or so with my eyes un-glazed-over.

Of course since this midi device doesn't claim to be the interface class
and subclass defined in that spec, there's no telling whether it really
uses a protocol like the one in the spec or something completely different.
If it's like the standard protocol, it's probably not hard to get the
driver to play with it.  Otherwise ... yuck.

M-Audio would know but so far they ain't talkin'.  Plan B is
look in the linux driver and see how they do it.  Plan C is send the
sucker back and buy a real one that implements the standard.  Or maybe
that's Plan B.  If it's easy enough, maybe I get it working and contribute
the driver patch, *then* send the sucker back and get a real one, on the
principle of the thing.  :P

Does anybody know which USB MIDI products actually follow the standard?
It would be nice if there were a list somewhere.  I thought M-Audio/Midiman
was a good enough name there'd be a decent chance.  Oh well.

-Chap