Subject: Re: LK_SHARED for VFS_VGET/FHTOVP
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/26/2004 16:43:20
--WBsA/oQW3eTA3LlM

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 02:46:10PM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>=20
> On May 26, 2004, at 12:45 PM, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
>=20
> >are you suggesting file PRs about each dependency on biglock?
>=20
> No.  Bill is asserting that various VOPs don't work correctly with=20
> SHARED locks because they modify data structure that are normally=20
> protected by an EXCLUSIVE lock.  I want him to file PRs on those=20
> specific problems, rather than making a blanket statement that the=20
> SHARED locks are bad.

Sorry, I thought I was saying, "SHARED locks used on vnodes are currently=
=20
bad." In general shared locks are good. And I'd like us to use them with=20
vnodes. However we need to be more careful about it than we have been.

Also, unfortunately, Chuck's the person who caused the problem but I'm not=
=20
sure if he's the best person to fix it. YAMAMOTO, Darrin, and I are=20
probably the folks who need to fix it.

Take care,

Bill

--WBsA/oQW3eTA3LlM