Subject: Re: localtime and chroot issues
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
From: Ian Zagorskih <ianzag@megasignal.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/06/2004 23:27:03
----- Original Message -----
From: "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@crufty.net>
To: "Ian Zagorskih" <ianzag@megasignal.com>
Cc: <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 9:09 PM

> On Thu, 6 May 2004 15:09:54 +0700, Ian Zagorskih writes:
> >a result cannot fabricate it. Even if we consider to send timestamp info
in=
> >=20
> >UTC format, client still can send invalid information due to software bug
o=
> >r=20
> >doing it explicitly.
>
> Sure, but if you can't trust the program logging - what's the point?

Well, for local daemons this is probably right though by default
/var/run/log socket is writtable by all users -> AFAIU any user application
may open it and add any syslog entries. But syslogd also accepts UDP
messages so that's not a local problem anymore :) [on the other hand, inet
access can be filtered]

// wbr