Subject: satalink(4): trouble detecting harddisk if booting "too fast"
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/09/2004 23:45:52
Hi!

I am using a Samsung harddisk on a satalink(4) controller
on a 2.0C/i386; it's plugged into the second port.

Recently I added another Samsung hard disk in the primary port.
Now, when booting, I have to wait 10-15s in the GRUB boot loader
screen and the NetBSD boot loader screen (combined) before allowing
the kernel to boot, otherwise NetBSD only detects the hard disk
in the second port.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Is this a bug in satalink?
Or does the hard disk in the primary port just need longer to
spin up? Are there any debugging flags I could try to find out more?

Cheers,
 Thomas